Dungeness Lighthouses, experimental station and fog signals - Lighthouse Accommodation (2024)

Contents

Dungeness Peninsula

There have been five lighthouses in Dungeness, in addition to two Low Lighthouses.

Dungeness is a bleak shingle peninsula that juts out of the Kent coastline. Formed by longshore drift, the headland has built up over the years. For this reason, the Dungeness lighthouses protecting this stretch of coast have had to move on many occasions. The siting of a new nuclear power station has also played its part in the lighthouse story.

Need for a lighthouse

Perhaps because of its remoteness, Dungeness has been the ideal location for experimentation. As a result, fog signals, radar, radio and lighting tests have taken place here, shaping the future of lighthouse technology.

The church tower at Lydd, in the middle of the Dungeness headland, often disorientated mariners from a distance. It was sometimes confused with a ship’s sail, luring vessels unknowingly into danger.

First Dungeness Lighthouse – 1615

In Rye, John Allen, a jeweller, is reputed to have been the first to propose a lighthouse at Dungeness. However, Allen could not afford to build the light, so he persuaded William Lamplough to take on the project involving Sir Edward Howard.

The first lighthouse was a wooden tower, located at what is known today as Denge Marsh. Now some distance inland, at the time, it was close to the shoreline.

The tower was around 35 feet high, with a coal brazier at the top. An internal wooden ladder led up to the brazier, and the coal was hauled up in a bucket. During its twenty years of service, the tower was reconstructed several times.

In 1615 Sir Edward Howard obtained a patent to charge tolls from passing ships for 50 years. Trinity House opposed the scheme, but Howard was licenced for private ownership by King James VI of Scotland.

However, the collection of light dues proved difficult, and unsurprisingly ship owners were reluctant to pay their fees. Trinity House tried to withdraw the patent with support from the shipowners without success.

By 1621 the tower was displaying a light using candles rather than coal. The low-quality light caused more complaints from shipowners. The building was partially destroyed by fire but was again restored.

Second Dungeness Lighthouse – 1635

The shingle at Dungeness continued to migrate southeastward. Following complaints that the lighthouse now was too far inland, a new brick tower was built. The new building, 110 feet high, was built in 1635 and once again used a coal fire as its primary light source. The new lighthouse was 540 yards to the north of where the 1904 lighthouse stands.

The lease passed from William Lamplough to Elizabeth Shipman, then later to Richard Tufton, the future Earl of Thanet. On his death, his son in law, Thomas co*ke of Holkham in Norfolk, acquired the lease. On his death, his widow Margaret took over control.

The coal-fired tower had living accommodation built at its base for two lighthouse keepers. In 1736 John Harden and John Lanes were the lighthouse keepers, under the supervision of Charles Coxsell.

All the coal had to be carried upstairs by hand. It must have been a challenging exercise to keep the tower lit!

Initially, bells and whistles warned ships of danger during fog. A large bell mounted on a wooden stand was erected alongside the 1635 lighthouse, used with a whistle.

Once again, shipowners complained about the poor visibility of the lighthouse. The shape of Dungeness had further altered, and it was now some distance from the shore. Trinity House demanded a new lighthouse.

Third Dungeness Lighthouse – 1792

The third of the Dungeness lighthouses built in 1792 was designed by Samuel Wyatt, Architect to Trinity House. The tapering tower was inspired by the design ofEddystone Lighthouse, located south of Plymouth.

The lighthouse, 116 feet tall, was lit by 17 Argand oil lamps with concave reflectors. Although the tower was stone, the floors and most of the stairs were made of wood.

Nine hundred gallons of oil were used annually for the light, plus coal from the stove. As with the previous two lighthouses, all the fuel had to be carried up the staircase to the lantern.

On 24th September 1817, it was reported that the light was not showing at Dungeness. On further investigation, the lighthouse keeper was found to be ill and unable to climb the tower. His lazy assistant was dismissed, and the keeper was retired.

The following year, in 1818, the lighthouse received several inspection visits. Mr L Fussell visited in March and expressed his concern about the structure and foundations of the lighthouse. The arch supporting the first storey of the tower had given way. Four buttresses had been added to the tower to strengthen it.

Lighthouse Keeper Mr Cobb resigned the following year, in 1819, following disagreements with the landlord. Stephen Terry of Lydd succeeded him.

On Christmas Day 1821, the tower was hit by a lightning strike, causing a large split down the tower’s side. One of the keepers is said to have been blinded by molten lead dripping into his eyes when he entered the burning lantern.

Despite the injuries to the keeper, the damage to the tower was not too severe. Three copper bands strengthened the building, and the leaking roof was repaired.

In 1836 Trinity House was empowered by an Act of Parliament to buy out all remaining lighthouse leases. co*ke accepted the sum of £20,954 2s 5d.

Following the sale of the lease, in 1843, the Round House around the tower’s base was built. The drum-shaped building consisted of three dwellings. Two for the Lighthouse Keeper and one for the Supernumerary, or trainee Keeper. Two cottages were also built around the perimeter.

Red sectors were added to the light in September 1866 to indicate the bays to either side of Dungeness Point. A first-order optic was installed around the same time.

The tower was painted red to make it more visible. From 1867 it had a red broad horizontal white band.

The first use of electricity

Electricity was trialled atSouth Foreland Lighthousenear Dover in 1859. Dungeness became the first lighthouse to have permanent use of electricity installed.

Michael Faraday, Scientific Adviser to Trinity House, chose the site. Two carbon arc lamps (one as a standby) were surrounded by a sixth-order Chance Brothers optic (the smallest size optic). The oil lamps and reflectors were retained in case of failure.

Holmes magneto-electric machines previously trialled at South Foreland Lighthouse were installed at the tower’s base alongside steam engines.

The new electric light came into use in June 1862. However, the new system was short-lived, proving too expensive to run. Shipowners complained that the new light was unreliable, sometimes dazzling. By October 1875, it had reverted to the multi-wick oil lamps.

A larger third-order optic, manufactured by Chance Brothers, later replaced the previous optic. Wyatt’s lighthouse was replaced at the beginning of the twentieth century. The optic was then moved to theTrinity House Depotat Blackwall on the River Thames and used for lighting experiments.

Reed fog signal

Various fog signal trials took place at Dungeness, including the use of explosive guns.

In 1862 the first reed fog signal in Britain was trialled and used at Dungeness. Named after its American inventor Celadon Daboll, it became the first siren to be used in the service. A new, improved Daboll trumpet was installed in 1865, protruding from a wooden building containing a steam engine.

The horn sounded every 20 seconds. It could be rotated to blast in four different directions within the space of a minute.

The original equipment was later transferred to the Newarp Lightvessel in 1868.

Siren Fog Signal and Low Lighthouse

In 1875 an early American siren signal replaced the Daboll trumpet. It may well have been similar to the system demonstrated at South Foreland a couple of years prior by Joseph Henry. Housed in a new corrugated iron building, it sounded one blast every minute.

A Low Light was established at the same time when the High Lighthouse was converted back from electricity to oil.

The corrugated iron building was nearer to the shoreline. It was painted red and mounted on wood to make it moveable. The light displayed a revolving white flash every 5 seconds, visible for 10 miles. A twelve-sided fourth-order revolving optic surrounded oil lamps from an elevation of 28 feet. The high lighthouse continued to show a fixed white light (with red sectors) from a height of 107 feet.

The fog signal was altered to two blasts every 2 minutes in 1877. In 1881 it was modified with a two-tone system using a high note followed by a low note. Powered by Ericson’s Caloric Engine, it was nicknamed the Cow and Calf due to the moaning sound it gave. Following successful experiments, an oil engine was in operation by 1895.

Fourth Dungeness Lighthouse – 1904

By 1901 the ever-shifting shingle made it necessary for a fourth lighthouse. Pattrick and Co of London were commissioned to carry out the work.

While construction on the tower was progressing, additional windows were added to the Round House, encircling Wyatt’s tower. The tower was subsequently demolished, although the two 1843 single storey dwellings were retained for accommodation.

Known as the High Light, The 136ft high tower was officially opened by His Majesty The Prince of Wales (later George V) in 1904.

A light was first exhibited on 31st March 1904, giving a white flash every 10 seconds, visible from 18 miles. The illuminant used paraffin oil with an optic of ten-sided lens panels floating on a mercury trough. The optic had to be wound up by hand every hour.

Further down the tower, a red light shone over the east bay, warning of a sandbank 2½ miles away in St Margaret’s Bay. A green sector light shone over the west bay, indicating a safe anchorage opposite Rye.

A radio beacon emitted a Morse signal for DU at 5-minute intervals, assisting position plotting.

The foghorn blasted in Morse dot dash dot every two minutes.

The tower was painted black with a broad white band and white lantern until it decommissioning in 1961. Subsequently, the lighthouse was painted all black.

New Low Light and fog signal – 1932

By 1932 the low light with its siren signal needed repair. Located 440 metres east of the new 1904 High Light replacing the previous moveable one, a pair of new diaphone fog horns were set at right angles to each other. The diaphone sounded three blasts every 2 minutes, and the light retained its character of one flash every 5 seconds.

A white, brick-built cylindrical tower was built using acetylene gas. The Low Light and foghorn were later demolished in 1959 to make way for the new, present lighthouse.

Wartime

Despite coming under attack on several occasions, the lighthouse suffered very little damage during the war. It operated with reduced intensity when Allied convoys were passing. A shade partially covered the optic so the light would be visible up the Channel from Dover but not from seaward where enemy ships would see it.

Many troops set up defences in the vicinity. A lending library was established on the ground floor of the lighthouse for those handling the coastal defences. Perhaps unsurprisingly, many of the books were never returned!

Floodlight and migrating birds

In 1952 the lighthouse was floodlit as an experiment to see if it would prevent birds from flying into the tower on their night-time migration route. The trial was successful, and so the floodlight remained. As a result of these trials, floodlights were adopted at other lighthouses that suffered regular bird strikes.

Electricity – second time around

In January 1959, electricity was trialled at the lighthouse for the second time. The process was much more successful.

By this time, a new, fifth lighthouse was in construction. An innovative new lamp was fitted on the lantern roof of the High Lighthouse. A xenon electric arc lamp was mounted inside a lens drum. This was the first time an illuminant of this type had been used in lighthouses.

Dungeness Lighthouse Keepers

The Lighthouse keepers worked in shifts or watches of four hours. In addition to their light keeping duties, they also recorded weather conditions at regular intervals.

One of the Principal Keepers, Mr Pells, lived with his wife in a bungalow called The Retreat, located between the Lighthouse and the Brittania pub. Mrs Pells kept bees and made prize-winning honey. It was an excellent area for beekeeping due to the abundance of wildflowers for the bees.

The short-haired bumblebee went into decline around Dungeness, and by 2000 there were no sightings. However, since that time, three species have been reintroduced into the area and are now doing well.

The keepers kept gardens on the grounds and would supplement the site with soil and seaweed to improve the quality.

Fifth Dungeness Lighthouse – 1961

Dungeness Lighthouses, experimental station and fog signals - Lighthouse Accommodation (13)

During the late 1950s, work began building a new nuclear power station at Dungeness. The height of the new building would mean that the lighthouse would be obscured from the sea. Therefore, a fifth lighthouse was built closer to the shoreline, where it remains in use today, on the former Low lighthouse site.

The owners of the power station, CEGB, contributed to the cost of building the new lighthouse. Building commenced in November 1959 and incorporated some new structural and technical innovations following months of research and testing by Trinity House.

The new 130ft high tower was much slimmer in design. It was built using 21 precast concrete rings, coloured black and white, to avoid regular repainting. The rings were 1.5 metres high, 15cm thick and 3.6 metres in diameter.

The Engineer responsible for the design was Philip Hunt, Engineer in chief to Trinity House.

The Duke of Gloucester officially opened the lighthouse on 29th June 1960. It came into operation on 20th November the following year, when the 1904 lighthouse was decommissioned. Like its predecessor, it was floodlit to prevent bird strikes at night.

Dungeness Lighthouses, experimental station and fog signals - Lighthouse Accommodation (14)

Following trials at the Old Lighthouse, as it became known, the new lighthouse was the first to be equipped with a flashing xenon electric arc lamp. However, the light was difficult to control and was replaced a few years later with four banks of Aga sealed beam lamps. These revolved to give a white flash every 10 seconds.

A fog signal was built into the tower, incorporating 60 tannoy loudspeakers sounding in a triple frequency three times every 30 seconds. Fixed red and green lights shone over the sectors in the bay.

While the lighthouse was fully staffed a fog detector indicated low visibility so that the keeper could decide when to sound the fog signal. A searchlight and photocell looked along the beam.

Before its construction, a tower nearby had 32 tannoys stacked into a new foghorn style, which would be used in the new tower.

A radio beacon also transmitted the morse signal for DU every six minutes.

Three lighthouse keepers operated the lighthouse, working two days on, and one day off. This continued until the lighthouse became a Keeper and Wife station, monitored from Harwich. The keepers were finally withdrawn in 1991.

The light was modernised in 2001 with a fourth-order optic, transferred fromLundy South Lighthouse. The fog signal was replaced by an electronic signal at the base of the tower.

Following the new lighthouse’s construction, the Old Lighthouse was decommissioned in 1960 and sold privately in 1961. It was sold again in 1983 after the previous owner died and is now open to the public.

From around 1980 most of the dwellings were used as a base for offshore lighthouse keepers. The East Bungalow was used by a keeper serving onNab Tower. Around the mid-1980s the West Bungalow was occupied by a keeper serving at Longships Lighthouse and in the East Cottage a keeper at Beachy Head.

A number of Supernumerary (trainee) Keepers worked on site.

The two detached keepers cottages were sold in March 1993 and the Round House in 1994.

This video of the new Dungeness Lighthouse was taken in the early 1990s, and gives an interesting tour around the inside, which is rarely seen.

Experimental Station

Heading down to the shoreline in front of the Old Lighthouse, a cluster of buildings formed the Experimental Station. This grew into a research facility for testing lighthouse equipment.

Read more about the Experimental Station

Dungeness Old Lighthouse is open to the public

Read more about visiting Dungeness

Dungeness Lighthouses, experimental station and fog signals - Lighthouse Accommodation (2024)

FAQs

Can you go up the lighthouse at Dungeness? ›

Climb the tower for panoramic aspects over the English Channel and the surrounding countryside. Binoculars are well worth bringing. Dungeness Lighthouse offers unique and perfect views over the 500 shingle ridges that have formed the foreland, one of the largest in the world and the greatest example in the UK.

How many lighthouses are in Dungeness? ›

Dungeness Peninsula

There have been five lighthouses in Dungeness, in addition to two Low Lighthouses. Dungeness is a bleak shingle peninsula that juts out of the Kent coastline. Formed by longshore drift, the headland has built up over the years.

How many steps are there in the Dungeness Lighthouse? ›

What great value to visit a 100 year old lighthouse. You can walk all the way up to the top (169 steps) and go outside to see some fantastic views.

When was the new lighthouse built in Dungeness? ›

The new lighthouse was brought into operation on 20 November 1961. The tower which rises from a white concrete base in the form of a spiral ramp, is capable of automatic operation and was the first one of its kind to incorporate the Xenon electric arc lamp as a source of illumination.

How much does it cost to go to the California Lighthouse? ›

The lighthouse is open daily from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.; admission costs $5 per person. Note that photo packages and catered meals cost extra.

Can you go to the lighthouse more than once a week? ›

Players can visit the Lighthouse as many times as they want and collect rewards each time they accrue 7 wins without a loss.

Why is Dungeness famous? ›

It is one of the best places in Britain to find invertebrates such as moths, bees, beetles, and spiders; many of these are very rare, some found nowhere else in Britain. The flooded gravel pits on Denge Beach, both brackish and fresh water, provide an important refuge for many migratory and coastal bird species.

What has been filmed at Dungeness? ›

Set in the Shepway district of Kent, Dungeness is a unique location with a shingle beach, old and modern homes, two lighthouses, a historic railway station and a Power Station. Dungeness has been used as a film location by productions such as Ginger and Rosa (2012), Derek (2008) and I Want You (1998).

What is the most deserted lighthouse? ›

Þrídrangaviti Lighthouse (transliterated as Thridrangaviti) is an active lighthouse 7.2 kilometres (4.5 miles) off the southwest coast of Iceland, in the archipelago of Vestmannaeyjar. It is often described as one of the most isolated lighthouses in the world.

How long is the hike to New Dungeness Lighthouse? ›

The trail down to the water is steep. An 11-mile round-trip hike will take you along the Spit to the Lighthouse. Be aware of the tide tables. One there, you can picnic, use restrooms, and tour the lighthouse.

How to view the Dungeness lighthouse? ›

The lighthouse is reached by a 5 mile hike from the Refuge parking lot along the North side of the Dungeness Spit. There is a $3 Refuge permit fee for a party of four adults payable at the Kiosk. Children under 16 are free.

How much does it cost to go to Dungeness Spit? ›

$3 daily entrance fee per family or per group (up to 4 adults). Children under 16 enter free.

Why do lighthouses beep? ›

Many lighthouses are equipped with a horn to help guide ships sailing in foggy weather. These foghorns, which make their sound by quickly releasing compressed air, can be heard for distances of up to 13 km (8 mi).

What is the oldest still operating lighthouse? ›

Hook Lighthouse has been guarding the Maritime gate way to Irelands Ancient East for over 800 years. It is the Oldest Intact Operational Lighthouse in the World. It stands just over 35m tall with 2 Black bands on a White background being its day time marker and 1 flash every 3 second being its night time marker.

How old is Dungeness lighthouse? ›

Can you go up in the Fire Island Lighthouse? ›

Climb to the top of the Fire Island Lighthouse and you won't just be rewarded with bragging rights. On a clear day you can see the New York City skyline in the distance. Tower tours are offered daily until one hour before close (call 631-583-5901 for most up-to-date hours of operation).

Can you go up hunting Island lighthouse? ›

There's plenty to explore in and around the lighthouse. For $2, visitors may purchase a ticket and climb the 167 stairs to the top.

Can you go up in the Sanibel lighthouse? ›

You cannot enter the lighthouse; however, you may roam the grounds and take all the pictures you want. Along with the lighthouse, there are attractions at the beach including shelling, beach walking, fishing and nature trails. This is one of Sanibel Islands most popular destinations, so expect a crowd.

Can you go up Portland Bill lighthouse? ›

Portland Bill is located at the southernmost tip of the Isle of Portland. It is perhaps best known for its lighthouse, which is painted in distinctive red and white colours. The lighthouse is open to visitors and it is possible to climb the steep steps during a guided tour.

References

Top Articles
Gluten Free Baked Ziti - Gluten Free Dinner Recipe
This Queen City-Approved Cincinnati Chili Recipe Will Blow Your Mind
Black Swan Movie Online Free
C Chord for Ukulele: Variations, Styles, and Techniques
Ascension St. Vincent's Lung Institute - Riverside
Fnv Mr Cuddles
Cincinnati Adult Search
Synovus Banking Hours
Voy Pageant Discussion
Lorton Transfer Station
Mifflin County 24 Hour Auction
Rancho Medanos Schedule
Lufkin Isd Calendar
Storm Prediction Center Convective Outlook
Persona 5 R Fusion Calculator
Maryland Parole Hearing Schedule 2023
Wharton Funeral Home Wharton Tx
What Is My Walmart Store Number
How to order half and half pizza dominoʼs online? - Chef's Resource
Dreamhorse For Sale
Minor-Morris Recent Obituaries
R/Maddenultimateteam
Произношение и транскрипция английских слов онлайн.
Operation Fortune Showtimes Near Century Rio 24
Mrballen Political Views
Poskes Parts
Gwcc Salvage
18443168434
Ignition Date Format
VMware accompagne ses partenaires et soutient leur transformation en faisant évoluer son programme « VMware Partner Connect » - Broadcom News & Stories - Français
Best Upscale Restaurants In Denver
What Are The Hours Of Chase Bank Today
Fanart Tv
Jan Markell Net Worth
Alineaciones De Rcd Espanyol Contra Celta De Vigo
Rule 34 Supreme Court: Key Insights and Implications
Rolla Mo Craigslist
Investment Banker Salary and Bonus Report: 2023 Update
Daniel And Gabriel Case Images
Strange World Showtimes Near Harkins Theatres Christown 14
7206990815
Cnas Breadth Requirements
Extraordinary Life: He Was A Feminist, Concerned With Power And Privilege
The Penitent One Unmasked
Racial Slur Database
Bella Poarch Husband: A Deep Dive Into Her Relationship And Personal Life
How To Use Price Chopper Points At Quiktrip
Ascensionpress Com Login
Rune Factory 5 Dual Blade Recipes
Saybyebugs At Walmart
Eugenics Apush
What stores are open on Labor Day 2024? A full list of where to shop
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Madonna Wisozk

Last Updated:

Views: 5549

Rating: 4.8 / 5 (48 voted)

Reviews: 95% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Madonna Wisozk

Birthday: 2001-02-23

Address: 656 Gerhold Summit, Sidneyberg, FL 78179-2512

Phone: +6742282696652

Job: Customer Banking Liaison

Hobby: Flower arranging, Yo-yoing, Tai chi, Rowing, Macrame, Urban exploration, Knife making

Introduction: My name is Madonna Wisozk, I am a attractive, healthy, thoughtful, faithful, open, vivacious, zany person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.